When someone is involved in an accident, it’s important for them to take all of their symptoms seriously. In some cases, people may think that their injuries are minor when they have actually been severely hurt and are actually in need of emergency medical attention. If they neglect to get this medical attention, their condition could get worse and could even become fatal, depending on the nature of their harm.
Take, for example, someone who is suffering from internal bleeding. Externally, it may appear that they haven’t suffered significant injuries, and they may even consider not going to the hospital. But internal bleeding can cause a lot of serious symptoms in the hours or even days to come and can become a fatal issue if it is not attended to properly.
What signs should someone look for?
Every injury is different, and the specific signs that a person may experience will ultimately depend on how severe the injury in question is and what part of the body was injured. Below are a few common symptoms of internal bleeding that may mean it’s time for an injury victim to head to the hospital:
- Feeling ill, which can include nausea and vomiting.
- Feeling dizzy as it becomes harder for oxygen to move around the body.
- Seeing a sudden decrease in blood pressure.
- Passing out from the loss of blood, even though it is not externally obvious.
- Experiencing shortness of breath, which can also contribute to dizziness.
- Having chest pain or abdominal pain, once again depending on where the injury occurred.
- Feeling overall weakness, or weakness that is isolated to one area of the body.
In some cases, internal bleeding can become so severe that a victim may become disoriented and may not know what’s going on around them. This could be because of internal bleeding around the brain, for example, known as a subdural hematoma. This puts pressure on the brain that only gets worse as the bleeding continues unabated.
It is very important for an injured person to get medical care so the doctors can treat their internal bleeding and save their life. This type of care can be quite expensive, even for those who have insurance. If someone else was responsible for a patient’s injury, such as another driver in a car accident, then they need to be well aware of their options to seek proper financial compensation. Seeking legal guidance is a good way to get started.