With the winter months in the past, you can expect the weather to continue to warm over the next few months in North Carolina. Subsequently, you’re more likely to face increased traffic on the road.
Just the same as every other season, there are driving safety tips you can follow during the spring months to avoid trouble. Here are five of the most important:
- Watch for distracted drivers: For example, college aged students will take to the road in large numbers for spring break. And when that happens, you can expect an increase in the number of distracted drivers.
- Prepare for changing weather conditions: One second you’re driving into blinding sun, but soon enough things change and you’re faced with rain and strong winds. You must prepare yourself to adjust to every type of weather condition, as you never know what you’ll face during the spring season.
- Watch for animals: Spring months lead to an increase in animal activity, so keep your eyes open for more than other vehicles and pedestrians. If an animal darts into traffic, it has the potential to cause an accident.
- Inspect your vehicle: Vehicle maintenance is critical at all times of the year, and the start of the spring season is a good time to go through a detailed checklist. Pay close attention to the condition of your tires, condition of your windshield wipers and tire pressure. All these things can affect your ability to remain safe on the road.
- Share the road: Motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians will come out in large numbers as the weather turns. Do your part in sharing the road, such as by leaving extra space when you see a motorcyclist and stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks. This goes a long way in keeping everyone safe, and that’s the ultimate goal.
Even if you’re on board with these spring driving safety tips, other drivers may not take as much caution. And for that reason, you’re always at risk of suffering an injury in a motor vehicle accident.
If that happens, seek immediate medical care, review your insurance policy, file a claim and consider any other steps you can take to obtain compensation for accident-related damages.